Rosanna Bianchi Piccoli
Portrait by Antonia Mulas
Rosanna Bianchi Piccoli enrolled at the Brera art school at fourteen, in 1943, and then in the same Academy where she studied with Guido Ballo, Carlo Carra and Mauro Reggiani.
The link with the cultural and artistic environment in Milan is very strong. In Milan, Rosanna Bianchi Piccoli attends Lucio Fontana, a fundamental point of reference, in which the exchange of office visits are frequent, and Ettore Sottsass with Fernanda Pivano, they are facing ceramics. While it's daily dialogue with artists and architects of his generation, such as Bobo Piccoli (whom she married in 1965).
In the fifties she began to travel to deepen studies and experiences in the field of ceramics. Her goal is to connect ceramic tradition and contemporary art.
Between 1957 and 1963 she gets in the E.N.A.P.I assignment ( National Entity of Crafts and Small Industries). Rosanna Bianchi Piccoli operates a socio-ethno-anthropological research, a group of experimental work (pilot project) in the shops in Abruzzo, Marche and Sicily, Lanciano, Rapino, Fratterosa, Santo Stefano Camastra and Collesano.
But her historical references, in addition to folk pottery, are the kind Majolica of the Renaissance, the rounds of the Della Robbia in Ospedale degli Innocenti, the whites of the abridged sixteenth century, up to Mondrian, Noland and Ettore Sottsass.
Potter in the anthropological sense that Claude Levi-Strauss relies on this identity, Rosanna Bianchi Piccoli takes on in these years a search and a job that continues to this day.
From 1958 to 1983 Rosanna Bianchi Piccoli has an ongoing contract with Sestante Gallery of Milan (with Ettore Sottsass jr., Pomodoro brothers, Bobo Piccoli, Hans von Klier and many others) where he held numerous solo exhibitions, the first in 1959.
In 2015 the Triennale Design Museum presents a selection of works from 1960 to 2015, which Cosmopiatti and Sacred vases, made especially for the exhibition.
Today, her research work still goes on.
In the occasion of the exhibition Prestidigitorium, Camp Design Gallery presented Pandora Vases, a research developped between 1997 and 1998 .